Report: Moonves obstructed sexual misconduct investigation

AP

Print Article

FILE - In this Sept. 19, 2017, file photo, Les Moonves, chairman and CEO of CBS Corporation, poses at the premiere of the new television series "Star Trek: Discovery" in Los Angeles. The New York Times says a report by CBS lawyers to board outlines more allegations of sexual misconduct by longtime chief Les Moonves. The report alleges that Moonves destroyed evidence and misled investigators as he attempted to protect his reputation and severance payments.(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File)

NEW YORK (AP) — An internal investigation of former CBS chief Les Moonves has turned up more evidence of sexual misconduct as well as lying and destruction of evidence, throwing into jeopardy his $120 million severance package, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

A look at what's known about the scandal so far:

THE LATEST

Lawyers hired by the network allege in a draft report that the TV executive committed "multiple acts of serious nonconsensual sexual misconduct" before and after he came to CBS in 1995, according to the Times. He also deleted numerous text messages and was "evasive and untruthful at times" under questioning, the report says.

Among other things, investigators received reports about a network employee who was "on call" to perform oral sex on Moonves. Investigators also found that he received oral sex from at least four CBS employees "under circumstances that sound transactional and improper to the extent that there was no hint of any relationship, romance, or reciprocity."

The investigators say they interviewed 11 of the 17 women they knew had accused Moonves of misconduct and found their accounts credible.

The 59-page report is to be presented to CBS's board of directors before the company's annual meeting next week, the Times said.

THE REACTION

A lawyer for Moonves, Andrew J. Levander, said in a statement that Moonves said he cooperated "extensively and fully" with investigators.

The former CEO "vehemently denies having any non-consensual sexual relations. He never put or kept someone on the payroll for the purpose of sex," the attorney said.

CBS declined to comment.

THE BACKSTORY

Moonves, largely credited with turning CBS around, was forced out in September, after The New Yorker published allegations from 12 women who said he subjected them to mistreatment that included forced oral sex, groping and retaliation if they resisted.

Moonves denied the accusations, though he said he had consensual relations with some of the women.

Moonves, 69, is one of the most powerful entertainment industry figures to be brought down by the #MeToo movement. Others include Hollywood studio boss Harvey Weinstein, NBC "Today" show host Matt Lauer and PBS talk show host Charlie Rose.

Moonves made his mark at CBS with sitcoms such as "Two and a Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory," reality TV such as "Survivor" and procedural dramas like "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" and "NCIS."

THE CONTRACT

Moonves was one of the highest-paid executives in the nation, making a total of nearly $140 million in the two years before he lost his job.

In a move that appalled women's activists and others, CBS said at the time of his departure that it set aside $120 million in severance for him. But the network warned he will lose the money if the board concludes it had cause to terminate him.

In their report, the lawyers say the network has grounds to deny him his severance. They say his pattern of behavior "arguably constitutes willful misfeasance and violation of the company's sexual harassment policy."

THE INVESTIGATORS

The investigation began in August and is being led by two former federal prosecutors now with highly regarded law firms: Nancy Kestenbaum and Mary Jo White, who was also head of the Securities and Exchange Commission.

In a statement to the Times, the investigators said: "Our work is still in progress and there are bound to be many facts and assessments that evolve and change as the work is completed."

Print Article

Read More Entertainment

POAC to bring Cirque Zuma Zuma to town

December 14, 2018 at 5:00 am | Bonner County Daily Bee What a fun idea for a stocking stuffer present for everyone in your family! Pend Oreille Arts Council is bringing Cirque Zuma Zuma to the Panida stage on Saturday, Feb. 2. Tickets are only $25 for ad...

Comments

Read More

Festival invites community to free concert

December 13, 2018 at 5:00 am | Bonner County Daily Bee The Festival Youth Orchestra’s Holiday Concert is this coming Sunday at 4 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, located at the intersection of Fourth Avenue and Alder Street in Sandpoint. Local youth ...

Comments

Read More

Time to get jazzed about week’s entertainment options

December 13, 2018 at 5:00 am | Bonner County Daily Bee SANDPOINT — Approaching the middle of the month, you can feel the momentum building as far as the number of entertainment options goes. Tonight, it’s the first Grateful Dead jam at Idaho Pour Author...

Comments

Read More

Janet Jackson, Def Leppard, Nicks join Rock Hall of Fame

AP

December 13, 2018 at 6:20 pm | NEW YORK (AP) — Janet Jackson joins her brother Michael and the Jackson 5 as members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, earning induction on Thursday along with Stevie Nicks and the top fan vote-gett...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 263-9534
PO Box 159
Sandpoint, ID 83864

©2018 Bonner County Daily Bee Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X