The Latest: US withdrawal from Syria so far limited to cargo

AP

Print Article

BAGHDAD (AP) The Latest on Syria and U.S. military pullout (all times local):

6:15 p.m.

A U.S. defense official says no American troops have withdrawn yet from Syria, but some military cargo has been pulled out.

The official said the movement of equipment is part of what the military calls the start of a deliberate withdrawal from Syria, where about 2,000 troops have been working with a coalition of Syrian Kurdish and Arab fighters to defeat the remnants of the Islamic State group.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss details that have not yet been publicly announced.

The official provided no numbers, but said the equipment withdrawal is under way and that an unspecified number of additional U.S. troops have been brought into Syria to assist with the withdrawal process. These include troops to provide additional security.

From Associated Press writer Robert Burns in Washington.

___

4:55 p.m.

A senior Kurdish politician says the Kurds are aware of the U.S. beginning to withdraw from Syria, describing it as "America's decision."

Ilham Ahmed, who co-chairs the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Council in northeast Syria, said the Americans have a right to make decisions that are in their country's security and national interests.

However, she adds that safeguarding the peace and stability of the areas they withdraw from "must be guaranteed." This includes putting an end to Turkish threats and fully eradicating the Islamic State group and its sleeper cells, she said.

Ahmed spoke to The Associated Press Friday hours after an American official said the process of withdrawing American troops from Syria has begun.

___

1:25 p.m.

Russia's Foreign Ministry says the Americans are not serious about withdrawing from Syria.

Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told reporters on Friday that it appears to Moscow that the U.S. "is looking for a reason to stay."

Zakharova said Moscow has not seen public statements laying out the U.S. strategy in Syria and so cannot be sure that the U.S. is serious about leaving.

Zakharova's remarks appeared shortly after an American official said that the U.S.-led military coalition has begun the process of withdrawing troops from Syria.

___

12:30 p.m.

An American military official says the U.S.-led military coalition has begun the process of withdrawing troops from Syria.

Col. Sean Ryan, spokesman for the U.S.-coalition fighting the Islamic State group, says the U.S. started "the process of our deliberate withdrawal from Syria."

In a statement emailed to The Associated Press on Friday, he declined to discuss specific timelines or locations or troops movements out of concern for operational security.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which monitors the conflict in Syria through a network of activists on the ground, said the withdrawal began Thursday night. It said a convoy of about 10 armored vehicles, in addition to some trucks, pulled out from Syria's northeastern town of Rmeilan into Iraq.

The U.S. has around 2,000 troops in Syria.

Print Article

Read More World News

Tshisekedi declared Congo's president, but runner-up revolts

AP

January 19, 2019 at 9:27 pm | KINSHASA, Congo (AP) Congo's election crisis deepened early Sunday when the Constitutional Court confirmed the win of Felix Tshisekedi, rejecting claims of fraud, and runner-up Martin Fayulu prompt...

Comments

Read More

Mexican pipeline explosion kills 73, leaves nightmare of ash

AP

January 19, 2019 at 6:24 pm | TLAHUELILPAN, Mexico (AP) Gerardo Perez returned Saturday to the scorched field in central Mexico where he'd seen an illegal pipeline tap burst into flames to see if he could recognize missing frie...

Comments

Read More

The Latest: Congo court declares Tshisekedi is president

AP

January 19, 2019 at 5:19 pm | KINSHASA, Congo (AP) The Latest on Congo's presidential election (all times local): 1:20 a.m. Congo's Constitutional Court has declared that Felix Tshisekedi is elected president after it r...

Comments

Read More

Survivors: Up to 117 missing from sunken boat off Libya

AP

January 19, 2019 at 12:27 pm | ROME (AP) Three survivors of a rubber dinghy that sank in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Libya say up to 117 other migrants were aboard at the time, a U.N. migration official said Saturday....

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 263-9534
PO Box 159
Sandpoint, ID 83864

©2019 Bonner County Daily Bee Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X