“The Great American Read is an eight-part series that explores and celebrates the power of reading, told through the prism of America’s 100 best-loved novels (as chosen in a national survey),” according to the About page at PBS.org.
The 2018 initiative launched in May and picks up next week with a two-hour special episode followed by weekly one-hour shows. Each episode delves into commonalities in groups of books on the list with topics such as “Heroes,” Villains and Monsters,” and “Other Worlds.” Readers can vote for their pick to be selected as America’s best-loved book which will be announced during the Grand Finale episode on Oct. 23.
This year’s top 100 books were chosen via a public opinion polling service which surveyed over 7,000 Americans. An advisory panel compiled the results and organized them using a five-part set of criteria. Only fiction is included on the list and one book in a series could qualify to keep the list varied. The top 100 list can be found on PBS.org and we will post it on The Library’s social media channels on Monday.
Aside from watching the series on PBS, there are other ways you can participate in the Great American Read. You can take the quiz on PBS.org to see how many of the top 100 books you’ve read. You can also download a checklist to track the titles you’ve read. Join the Facebook group book club to read and discuss the novels with other readers.
We’ll be assembling a handy book display at the Sandpoint Library featuring as many of the top 100 titles as will fit. Swing by and pick up a book or two from the display and start working on your top 100 checklist!
All of the following programs take place at the Sandpoint branch unless otherwise indicated.
• Saturday, Sept. 8 — Library Garden Work Day, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the East Bonner County Library District’s Sand-point branch, 1407 Cedar St. The Library is building a new community educational grden and we need your help! Show up to help get this project to take root! Information: Mike Bauer 208-265-2665.
• Saturday, Sept. 8 — Bella Note Musical Program – Summer Highlights. 10:30 a.m. at the East Bonner County Library District’s Sandpoint branch, 1407 Cedar St. Bella Note students of various ages who studied music over the summer will perform. Everyone will enjoy a small group activity at the end of the performance, time permitting. Part of a monthly series running through December. Future programs will take place on the first Saturday of each month with a different musical theme geared for families with young children. Information: 208-263-6930 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tuesday, Sept. 11 — Mother Goose, 10 a.m. in the new glass program area in the Children’s Department. New format, 6 sessions 9/4-10/9! Stories and singing for babies and toddlers 0-3 years and their caregivers with stay and play until 10:40 a.m. Note that Mother Goose starts 15 minutes earlier. Information: 208-263-6930 ext. 1211 or email@example.com.
• Tuesday, Sept. 11 — Preschool Stories, 11 a.m. in the new glass program area in the Children’s Department. Stories and crafts for kids and their caregivers. Information: 208-263-6930 ext. 1211 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tuesday, Sept. 11 — Robotics, 3 -5 p.m. at the East Bonner County Library District’s Clark Fork branch, 601 Main St. Information: 208-266-1321.
• Tuesday, Sept. 11 — Explore Virtual Reality, 3-6 p.m., drop-in 20-minute sessions Explore the world with Google Earth VR, swim in the deep sea, go on a virtual tour, play arcade style games or walk a plank suspended from an 80-story building - all from the safety of The Library! First come, first served. Under 18 must accompany parent consent form. Under 14 must be accompanied by parent/legal guardian. Information: Contact the Tech Desk 208-263-6930 ext.1251.
• Wednesday, Sept. 12 — Clark Fork Stories and More, 10:30 a.m. at the Clark Fork branch. Stories, crafts, prizes and snacks for kids ages 3-8. Information: 208-266-1321.
• Wednesday, Sept. 12 — Board games, 2:15 p.m. at the East Bonner County Library District’s Sandpoint branch, 1407 Cedar St. De-stress after school and join us for a variety of board games. Open to 7- to 10-year-olds. Information: 208-263-6930 ext. 1211.
• Wednesday, Sept. 12 — Explore Virtual Reality. 3-7 p.m., drop-in 20-minute sessions.
• Thursday, Sept. 13 — Summertime Favorite Reads, 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. at the East Bonner County Library District’s Sandpoint branch, 1407 Cedar St. “Speed-sharing” of favorite summertime books read this year! Enjoy brief discussions of favorite books and refreshments provided by the Sandpoint Friends of the Library.
• StoryWalk — Pages from a children’s book are posted along a trail for a fun, family experience. Enjoy “Wemberly Worried” by Kevin Henkes at Dover City Park and “School’s First Day of School” by Adam Rex at McNearney Park. Read, connect, and get outside at a StoryWalk, a partnership of The Library, Kaniksu Land Trust, city of Dover, and city of Ponderay
Marcy Timblin is in charge of public relations, marketing and community development for the East Bonner County Library District. She can be reached at 208-208-208-263-6930, ext. 1204.