Ida Handy to create new Coolin park
| May 13, 2020 1:00 AM
100 Years Ago — 1920
Mrs. Handy improving Coolin
Mrs. Ida Handy of the Idaho Inn at Priest Lake has purchased several lots across the road from her hotel in Coolin and has several workmen cleaning them up. Mrs. Handy intends to make a park of the lots. There will be winding paths, bordered with flowers, rustic seats and flowing fountains. It will be one of the greatest improvements made in Coolin for years.
90 Years Ago — 1930
Caps and gowns again
The senior class will appear in caps and gowns this year. The cap and gown idea was inaugurated by the class of 1929, and this year’s class voted unanimously to continue the idea.
80 Years Ago — 1940
Building Sam’s Corner
Sam Pagnotta has been working for the past two weeks on a service station which he is erecting at the corner of Albeni Road and the new West Branch highway leading into town.
70 Years Ago — 1950
Bank approved. Officers named
Word was received from the Idaho State Commissioner of Finance and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation that the application for charter for the Bank of North Idaho, Priest River, has been approved. Quarters for the new bank will be in the former Diamond Electric location in the Beardmore Building. The following officers have been named: President, W. W. Von Cannon; vice presidents, Stanley W. Jones and C. I. Canfield; cashier, Lloyd Veitmeir; directors , Robert Doolittle, Phil Naccarato, Robert E. Dow, Laurin Pietsch, Ken L. Woods and Glen Bandelin.
60 Years Ago — 1960
Spartans dominate district meet
The Priest River Spartans, led by Ron Huff, swept a total of nine firsts and dominated the scoring at the district track meet in Coeur d’Alene May 6. Priest River garnered 87 ½ points to lead Post Falls, 53; Rathdrum, 31; Kootenai, 22; Clark Fork, 15; Mullan, 6; Worley, 4 ½, Plummer and Spirit Lake, each 2.
50 Years Ago — 1970
Blast rips bid
A dynamite blast set off by a person or persons unknown ripped the East River Bridge about 14 miles north of town at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday. The bridge is now closed to truck traffic, but is open to one-way traffic by passenger cars.
40 Years Ago--1980
LID death creates fireworks
Mayor Art Thayer said the city council will hold an executive session with city grant administrator Bruce Vonada to see if the council will accept Vonada’s resignation. Vonada turned in his resignation in the wake of the fireworks that accompanied the death of the local improvement district proposal. Interviews with council members indicate that a majority does not want to lose Vonada.
30 Years Ago — 1990
The Priest River Spartan boys’ golf team, unbeaten in regular season’s action, continued its winning ways at the state golf tournament, bringing home the first state title at Priest River Lamanna High School in 30 years. Consistency was the key, as the Spartans demonstrated their mastery at the Canyon Springs course, defeating former champion Jerome, and winning the Class B tourney by 14 strokes. The Spartan attack was led by tournament medalist Chris Martin, followed by Gary deBlaquiere, Chris Blayne, Jim Bob Coleman, and Rich deBlaquiere. Scott Salesky was the coach.
20 Years Ago — 2000
District 83 News
West Bonner County School District No. 83 has leased a portion of the Beardmore Building, Superintendent Joe Malletta confirmed, but whether it will be the alternative high school or the district office is unknown at the present time.
Due to a lack of opposition, there was no election for the Priest Lake trustee position on the District 83 school board. Incumbent Vern Melvin was thus declared the winner.