Bonner County History - Feb. 14, 2021
From the archives of the
Bonner County History Museum
611 S. Ella Ave., Sandpoint, Idaho, 83864
50 Years Ago
Feb. 14, 1971 – CUB PACK FORMED
Pack 199, Sagle, had its first formal meeting Thursday. Den 1 members are Bob Plaster, Steve Smith, Gilbert Smith, Darryl Duszynski, Russell Vail, Mark Halliday and David Porter. Members of Den 2 are Dal Gene Bradetich, David Gleason, Donald Newton, Ned Colhoff, Grant Merwin, Allen Martin and Eric Balch. John Duszynski is cubmaster.
COMMUNITY SHOWER FOR WALSETHS
A community miscellaneous shower will be held Feb. 19 for the Wayne Walseth family of Sagle who lost their home, furnishings and clothing in a fire. Sagle Helping Hand Club is sponsoring the affair in the home of Mrs. Nettie Sheffler.
FOUR ARRESTED IN NARCOTIC RAID
Four Sandpoint men were arrested and a substantial quantity of marijuana was seized in a sheriff’s raid on a rented residence in Syringa Heights Friday. All four men are in custody in lieu of bail, set at $2,500 each. A raid that night at another location produced nothing. Sheriff Wilcox believes they had been tipped off.
PATTI LUTZKE ELECTED MUSIC CHAIRMAN
Miss Patti Lutzke, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Lutzke and SHS graduate, has been elected music chairman of Alpha Phi Fraternity for women at the University of Idaho. Miss Lutzke, a sophomore, is also a member of the Vandaleers.
100 Years Ago
Pend d’Oreille Review
Feb. 14, 1921 – HIGH SCHOOL NOTES
The seniors plan to publish a paper called “The Monticola,” the Latin name for “White Pine.”
The Camp Fire Girls held their ceremonial dinner at the domestic science rooms Tuesday.
DANCE ORDINANCE PASSED
The dance ordinance controversy, a feature of the city council for two months, was concluded at a special meeting of the city dads Wednesday when a more restrictive measure was enacted. The ordinance is an absolute prohibition against muscle, shimmy or cheek-to-cheek dancing, other freakish and eccentric dances, and against undue or indecent exposure of the person due to either dress or action. The only dances exempt are those conducted in private homes.
It was determined that last week’s East Hope fire originated in the kitchen range of the hotel. With the mill closed down, the hotel had been abandoned. Two men were living in a room in the deserted building, and built a fire in the kitchen range, then going up town. The range overheated and the fire that swept away East Hope resulted.
John Lidbaum departed yesterday for Kramfors, Sweden to spend a year with his mother and a brother. Tuesday he was given a farewell party at Mr. and Mrs. John Bolin’s home on N. Fourth.
For more information, visit the museum online at bonnercountyhistory.org.