Annual fair is time-honored fun
The annual county fair is a time-honored event here in Bonner County. In recent years we have been making some changes, additions, and improvements at the fairgrounds. We wanted to share some of the updates with you:
• $3 parking fee: 100% of the fees collected go toward high school programs and college scholarships to Bonner County high school students. Yes, that’s right, 100%. In 2020, the parking fees allowed us to provide over $6,300 toward high school programs and over $6,300 toward college scholarships.
• Exhibit Entries: We update our exhibit entry categories each year. We also add new individual exhibit entry contests each year. First-, second-, and third-place exhibits earn a ribbon and payout. Payouts are provided the Sunday following fair. If you are unable to pick up your items and payout, arrangements can be made for us to hold your items and provide payout at a later date. We do not keep cash on hand in our office but are more than willing to provide a check. Our entries have increased significantly over the past few years, enough so that our display cases are full.
• Fair Food: By far this is a favorite for most fairgoers. In 2020 we brought in 20 food vendors, most of whom were local. We had amazing options to choose from. Even if you just stop by the fair on your lunch hour, you won’t regret it.
• Fair Entertainment: Over the past three years, we have been bringing in local bands for our concert nights on Thursday of Fair Week. This year we are excited to announce that we will have the Copper Mountain Band at the Fair on Thursday, Aug. 19.
• Christmas Fair: We offer an amazing craft fair each year in November. This is a well-attended annual event with almost 100 local craft vendors, local musical groups (youth and adult), yummy food and much more. With a very affordable booth fee of $35 or less.
• Keeping it local: We are trying to keep an emphasis on local businesses. Over the past year, it has been tough on every industry. We are keeping that in mind when we choose our entertainment, our food vendors, our craft vendors, and much more. We try our hardest to make sure to give opportunities to our local businesses to be successful at not only our events held here at the fairgrounds, but other events held by renters at the fairgrounds.
• Facilities for rent: We offer facilities for rent year-round. From indoor and outdoor arena rental, heated building rental, storage, campground rental and more. The fairgrounds has been a venue for weddings, conferences, craft shows, boat shows, concerts, reunions, livestock events and much more.
We have some great plans for our annual fair in August, “Lettuce Turnip the Beet.” In addition to the fair, we have some wonderful events on our calendar throughout the year. If you have any suggestions for fair exhibits, ideas, events, etc., please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-263-8414. We hope to see you at the fair, which will take place Aug. 18-21, 2021.
We wish you all the very best of 2021.
DARCEY C. SMITH
Fair and Facilities Director
Bonner County Fair & Rodeo