Thursday, February 02, 2023
23.0°F

Bonner County History - Dec. 4, 2022

| December 4, 2022 1:00 AM

Brought to you by the

Bonner County Historical

Society and Museum

611 S. Ella Ave., Sandpoint, Idaho, 83864

208-263-2344

50 Years Ago

Sandpoint News-Bulletin

Dec. 4, 1972 – SHS FOOTBALL BANQUET

Three outstanding senior SHS football players were named at the annual Bulldog Bench football banquet: Gordy Lindgren, winner of the Jim Hunt Memorial trophy (most inspirational); Mark Geenen, winner of the scholastic award; and Frank Noble, winner of the Jerry Kramer award (outstanding senior lineman). Coach Ken Beaudoin announced Gordy Lindgren and Stan Maurer as team co-captains, a choice made by members of the team. Earning letters were seniors Mark Geenen, Keith Hardy, Stan Maurer, Kim Hull, Mike Irving, Gordy Lindgren, Stuart Lawson, Frank Noble and Duane Pederson; juniors Dell Hatch, Guy Dawson, John Hunt, Dan Lyons, Mark Lyons, Chester Schilling, Jim Kemmis, Chuck Thompson, Bob Nelson, Bruce Sletager, Mike Phillips and Chuck Schoonover; sophomores George Andrews, Kevin Smith, Jeff Clark, Mike Hagadone, Paul Klatt and Mike Roberts.

•••

SIGN WILL READ ‘SENEACQUOTEEN’

The Bonner County Historical Society has won the battle of Seneacquoteen. When the Idaho Dept. of Highways announced plans for a historical marker on US 2 in the Laclede area for the old Pend Oreille River crossing named by Indians who lived in the area, they spelled the name “Sineactine.” Not so, proclaimed BCHS, rallying to the cause of preserving historical accuracy and filing a protest. This week they received a letter from Jack Ross, district traffic superintendent, assuring them the place name will be spelled correctly when the marker is erected. “Your thoughtfulness in contacting us is sincerely appreciated,” he wrote.

100 Years Ago

Pend d’Oreille Review

Dec. 4, 1922 – CITY BREVITIES

Bishop Frank Hale Touret of the Idaho diocese of the Episcopal church, preached Sunday morning at St. Agnes’ Guild hall, confirming two members. He was afterward driven to Priest River by Mrs. Beecher Hitchcock and there he confirmed several more. From Priest River he went to Spirit Lake and thence started upon his return trip to Boise.

The city library was closed the first of the week while new bookcases were built down the center of the room, parallel with the shelves on the north wall, to house new volumes received this fall.

Waffle irons, toasters, percolators, lamps, vacuum cleaners, electric sewing machines on display at Sandpoint Electric company, next door to the Gem.

•••

FIRE TAKES RELIC OF EARLY DAYS

The Great Northern hotel, near the GN station, a mile and a half west of town, was destroyed by fire Sunday night. The two-story frame building, owned by H.T. Irion, was far out of town with no facilities for fire fighting, so the flames spread rapidly. The hotel, built in 1906 by V.M. Russell, was later taken over by W.G. Hunt, who was its proprietor for a number of years. The building was empty several years but last winter was partially occupied by a restaurant, taken over by Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Ross, who also furnished several of the building’s 12 or 14 rooms.

For more information, visit the museum online at bonnercountyhistory.org.

Recent Headlines