Ross Shingle Mill forced to shut down
Then Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter is pictured talking with a group of Priest Lake Elementary students at a ceremony marking Nordman as Idaho's Capitol for a Day on Sept. 19, 2011.
(Photo courtesy PRIEST RIVER MUSEUM)
| November 23, 2022 1:00 AM
100 Years Ago — 1922
Cornerstone to be laid
The dreams of the Cultus Club members are being realized. The long talk of a clubhouse is now in the making. A solid footing for the foundation has been placed, forms erected, and the foundation is being poured. The cornerstone will be placed in a few days.
90 Years Ago — 1932
Price lowered on bread
Parties buying out-of-town bread have said they have done so for the sole reason they can buy a larger loaf for less price. They will now have no reason, as the local bakery has lowered the price to meet outside competition. Priest River bread is now selling at approximately the same price as the bread shipped in; a pound-and-a-half loaf can be bought for 10 cents. Make it a habit to call for “Homemade Better Bread,” a Priest River product.
80 Years Ago — 1942
Mill forced to close
W.A. Ross, owner and manager of the Ross Shingle Mill, states that he has been forced to shut down his mill because of the inability to get cedar, to obtain competent help, and to pay the wages demanded. He closed the mill about 10 days ago.
70 Years Ago — 1952
IFYE delegate comes home
Carol Falk arrived home after spending the past six months as an International Farm Youth Exchange delegate student to Brazil.
60 Years Ago — 1962
Town basketball team formed
Organization of a town basketball team is underway under the sponsorship of Dick Sonntag of White Cross Pharmacy. Anyone wishing to play contact Al Rose at the pharmacy.
50 Years Ago--1972
Town has first flower shop
Mary’s Flower Box is a delightful new flower shop in Priest River. It is located behind the Schaefer residence on Albeni Road. Mary Schaefer is a life-long resident of this community. Her father, the late John Schaefer, was owner-operator of the Schaefer-Hitchcock pole yard, which operated in Priest River for many years.
40 Years Ago — 1982
Exercise in Futility?
Diamond International Corporation announced a purported class action on behalf of Diamond stockholders against Diamond, its directors and Diamond Acquisition, Inc. in connection with the previously announced merger plans in which Sir James Goldsmith figures.
30 Years Ago — 1992
Yellow ribbons fund memorial
The bronze plaque purchased with donations left over from the Yellow Ribbon campaign has finally been installed in front of city hall. The plaque, honoring those who have served their country in wartime, is on the new concrete pillar that matches the memorial to the Priest River servicemen who died in World War II. The funds were donated originally to show support of the troops serving in Desert Shield/Desert Storm.
20 Years ago — 2002
The Priest River Lions Club donated a check for $250 to the Happy Agers to help with the high heating bills at the Priest River Senior Center. Lions president Jan Perrins presented the check to Fred Charland, president of the Happy Agers.