Spinosa, Carothers lead LPOIC fall derby
Staff Writer | November 26, 2022 1:00 AM
SANDPOINT — It's been a busy, mixed few days on the water with the Lake Pend Oreille Idaho Club's fall derby in full swing.
The event, which kicked off Nov. 19, has alternated between busy and not so busy with cool temperatures to start the annual Thanksgiving Derby. Tuesday, the derby's fourth day, brought out warmer weather — and then snow.
"Not near the activity [as previous days]," said Dave Gillespie of the Lake Pend Oreille Idaho Club. "It's as if the fish knew what was coming."
However, Wednesday was a different story, with major changes taking place in the adult rainbow division with a new name atop the leaderboard.
Dan Spinosa nabbed a 27.80-pound rainbow measuring 36 3/4-inches long to take the top spot away from Josh Shelton. Shelton had held the top spot since opening day, catching a 24.85-pound, 38-inch fish. Both opted to release their fish as did the division's third-place angler, Dale Greene, who caught a 21.35-pound, 35 1/2 inch fish.
Jim Carothers continues to lead the Mackinaw Division, a spot he claimed opening day with an 11.65-pound, 30 1/2-inch beauty.
The second and third days of the derby saw a number of anglers find their way onto the leaderboard with Brad Strugis, Becky Sturgis, Fisher LaRue, Zach Mohr, John Mozingo, Dan Pierce and Karl Richens joining Carothers and Debra Friemel in the division's top 10.
In the Junior Division, Damian Porter holds the top spot, catching a 6.65-pound, 26 1/4-inch Mackinaw.
In the Youth A Division, Donnie Houk Jr. leads with a 32-inch rainbow that he opted to release. In second place is Lyla Shelton, who caught a 30 3/4-inch rainbow that she released. Claiming third spot on the list is Lauren Porter, who caught a 27 5/8-inch rainbow that was released.
In the Youth B division, Liam Sturgis caught a 34 1/2-inch rainbow for a top spot; the fish was released. In second place is Ember Shelton, who caught a 34-inch rainbow to land on the leaderboard.
K&K Derby 2022
(Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2022)
Adult rainbow trout
- No fish caught.
- Dan Spinosa, 27.80 pounds, 36 3/4 inches (released); 2. Josh Shelton, 24.85 pounds, 38 inches (released); 3. Dale Greene, 21.35 pounds, 35 1/2 inches (released).
Adult Mackinaw division
- Jim Carothers, 11.65 pounds, 30 1/2 inches; 2. John Cosolito, 11.20 pounds, 31 inches; 3. Brad Sturgis, 5.20 pounds, 25 inches; 4. Dale Greene, 4.90 pounds, 24 inches; 5. Becky Sturgis, 4.10 pounds, 24 inches; 6. Fisher LaRue, 3.00 pounds, 21 1/2 inches; 7. Zach Mohr, 2.95 pounds, 21 1/2 inches; 8. John Mozingo, 2.85 pounds, 20 1/2 inches; 9. Dan Covey, 2.55 pounds, 20 1/2 inches; 10. Debra Friemel, 2.15 pounds, 18 1/2 inches.
- Damian Porter, 6.65 pounds, 26 1/4 inches Mackinaw; 2. No entry; 3. No entry; 4. No entry.
Youth A division
- Donnie Houk Jr., 32-inch rainbow (released); 2. Lyla Shelton, 30 3/4-inch rainbow (released); 3. Lauren Porter, 27 5/8-inch rainbow (released).
Youth B Division
- Liam Sturgis, 34 1/2-inch rainbow (released); 2. Ember Shelton, 34-inch rainbow (released).
Mackinaw of the Day
Nov. 19 — Jim Carothers
Nov. 20 — Brad Sturgis
Nov. 21 — Jim Carothers
Nov. 22 — Jim Carothers
Nov. 23 — John Cosolito