LPOIC announces fall derby results
Ending the derby as the unofficial winner of the rainbow division was Charlie Miller of Hayden, who caught a 25.90-pound, 36 1/2-inch rainbow on Tuesday, Nov. 23.
(Photo courtesy LAKE PEND OREILLE IDAHO CLUB)
Jennifer Verdal ended as the unofficial winner of the Mackinaw division, leading from start to finish after catching a 20.7-pound, 38 1/4-inch Mackinaw on the derby's opening day.
Staff Writer | December 2, 2021 1:00 AM
SANDPOINT — It's official.
Charlie Miller of Hayden and Jennifer Verdal ended the Lake Pend Oreille Idaho Club's Thanksgiving Derby in the top spots for kokanee and Mackinaw respectively.
The 2021 LPOIC Fall Thanksgiving Derby was a success," LPOIC officials posted on the club's website. While some days were slow, and the derby didn’t see the anticipated 30-pound winner, a 25-pound patch monster looks to have taken first place.
"Even better, all placing rainbows — first through fourth place — swam off to get even bigger, spawn more offspring and hopefully provide future LPO anglers with a a thrill of a lifetime," officials posted.
On the Mackinaw side of the derby, LPOIC officials said the fishing was improved and seemed consistent.
Ending the derby as the winner of the rainbow division was Charlie Miller of Hayden, who caught a 25.90-pound, 36 1/2-inch rainbow last Tuesday. Fishing partner Lindsay Barker of Sagle ended in second with 24.20-pound, 37 1/4-inch beauty.
On the final day of the derby, Steve Wold and Justin Teegarden caught their way onto the leaderboard in the rainbow division. Wold caught a 23.85-pound, 37-inch rainbow and Teegarden caught a 23.37-pound, 37-inch fish to claim third and fourth respectively.
All four released their fish.
On the Mackinaw side of the leader board, Jennifer Verdal ended as the winner, leading from start to finish after catching a 20.7-pound, 38 1/4-inch Mackinaw on the derby's opening day. In second is Zac Taylor with 17.39-pound, 36-inches; and James Carothers is third, with a 14.05-pound, 33-inch Mack.
Rounding out the top 10 are Michael Mitale, fourth; Gale Belgarde Sr., fifth; Bert Dennett, sixth; Brad Sturgis, seventh; Damian Vess, eighth; Becky Sturgis, ninth; and Dave Janicki, tenth.
In the Youth A division, Fisher La Rue ended the derby in the top spot, landing a a 33 3/4-inch rainbow. In second is Savannah O'Hara and, in third, is Cruz Conces both of whom caught rainbows. All three released their fish.
In the Youth B division, Savannah Long ended the fall derby in the top spot, landing a 31 1/2-inch rainbow. In second is Liberty O'Hara and third is Thomas Landingham, both of whom caught rainbows. All three released their fish.
In the Junior Division, Damian Porter caught a 12.68-pound, 32 1/2-inch rainbow that was released.
Fall Thanksgiving Derby
Final unofficial standings
(Sunday, Nov. 28)
Adult Rainbow Division
- Charlie Miller, 25.90 pounds, 36.50 inches (released); 2. Lindsay Barker, 24.20, 37 1/4 inches (released); 3. Steve Wold, 23.85, 37 (released); 4. Justin Teegarden, 23.37, 37 (released).
- Jennifer Verdal, 20.7 pounds, 38 1/4 inches; 2. Zac Taylor, 10.45, 29 1/4; 3. James Carothers, 14.05, 33; 4. Michael Mitale, 11.12, 29 1/4;5. Gale Belgarde Sr., 10.45, 29 1/4; 6. Bert Dennett, 10.21, 29 1/4; 7. Brad Sturgis, 7.75, 27 3/4; 8. Damian Vess, 7.10, 27; 9. Becky Sturgis, 7.05, 26 3/4; 10. Dave Janicki, 6.10, 24 1/2.
- Fisher LaRue, 33.75 inches, rainbow (released); 2. Savannah O'Hara, 32, rainbow (released). 3. Cruze Conces, 31 1/8, rainbow (released).
- Savannah Long, 31 1/2 inches, rainbow (released); 2. Liberty O'Hara, 25, rainbow; 3. Thomas Landingham, 22, rainbow (released).
- Damian Porter, 12.68 pounds, 32 1/2 inches, rainbow(released).
Mackinaw of the Day
Saturday, Nov. 20 - Jennifer Verdal
Sunday, Nov. 21 - James Carothers
Monday, Nov. 22 - Gale Belgarde Sr.
Tuesday, Nov. 23 - Gale Belgarde Sr.
Wednesday, Nov. 24 — Gale Belgarde Sr.
Friday, Nov. 26 — Mike Mitale
Saturday, Nov. 27 — James Carothers
Sunday, Nov. 28 — Greg Neisinger